Apple iPad and iPhone are getting a big software Update.. what does it mean for you
iOS11 (Apples new mobile Operating System) is on its way and it could mean some big new changes for you. Firstly, some devices will no longer be supported. This doesn’t mean that they will stop working but it does mean that they will no longer receive updates, and the same may go for the apps you use.
iOS11 will only support iPhone 5s and up and the iPad 4th Gen and Mini 2 and up. So if you have anything older you’re out of luck… and support.
For those of us that still have a supported device this is what we can expect to see in the last quarter of the year when iOS11 is released:
- The App store has been redesigned, you’ll get daily listed around particular themes. There will also be tutorials explaining how to do things with new apps.
- Control Centre, the Lock screen and Notifications also get a makeover.
- The lock screen and notifications will now share the same screen and control centre has more slicers and some customisation options available.
- The Message app is getting updated to include the ability to use Apple Pay to pay others via the messenger app.
- There will also be new QuickType keyboard which will make typing with 1 hand better on iPhone and allow you to swipe up on a letter to get the corresponding number or symbol on that “key”
- Siri will sound more natural in both the male and female voice and will be able to translate what you say in to German, French, Spanish and Chinese with more languages coming.
- Siri will become more intelligent with “on-device” learning, meaning Siri will be able to do things like understand what you’re searching for in safari allowing it to suggest related words in other apps like mail etc
- The camera will get a built in QR code scanner and other improvements.
- Maps will get some great improvements including Speed notifications, and lane navigation. You’ll also get a new function called “Do Not Disturb While Driving”. When activated it will send people trying to contact you a note to say that youll see the message when you’ve finished driving.
The iPad is going to get its own improvements as well:
- Better multitasking will allow you drag and drop pretty much anything between apps.
- The new Dock will be accessible from any screen and will allow files to be pinned to it.
- There is going to be a new Files app that will allow you to keep all your files in 1 easy to access location.
There are some awesome improvements coming so make sure you’re ready.. , come and talk to us about upgrading your iPad and for recommendations on your iPhone upgrade.
Go and see all the details here https://www.apple.com/nz/ios/ios-11-preview/